Stack parking is a good utilization of space, but there are rules to help cars maneuver in this unique parking option. Think of it as a giant Tetris game. All vehicles – even the first one – must display the stack parking card since, in some situations moving the first vehicle may allow a vehicle to the side to move out.
Parking rules are covered in the Requirements and Policies Manual, and here is an excerpt from section D.3 that covers stack parking:
Stack Parking: Stack Parking spaces are reserved for vehicles that display a Stack Parking card. Movement of a vehicle in Stack Parking may be necessary to accommodate unforeseen circumstances, and to allow for the exit (or entry) of other vehicles parked in Stack Parking.
- Berkeley Lab employees and affiliates who choose to park in Stack Parking spaces must observe the following regulations:
- Park as close as possible to the vehicle, stop line, or barrier in front and/or behind your vehicle. (Maintain a less-than-30-inch gap between vehicles.)
- A vehicle shall not extend into a red zone or a pedestrian walkway.
- Display a valid Berkeley Lab parking permit.
- Display a Stack Parking card with your contact information.
- Stack Parking cards are available on request from the Site Access Office or at commute.lbl.gov/parking.
If you use stack parking, please download the form, fill it out, and start using the stack parking card.